Wednesday, February 20, 2013



Stem Cell Research

Parkinson’s disease, leukemia, Alzheimer’s disease, and spinal cord injuries are all diseases or injuries that may benefit from stem cell research, as well as many others. Stem cells are the body’s raw materials, cells from which all other cells with specialized functions are generated. No other cell in the human body has the natural ability to generate new cell types.  Stem cells have the capacity to become whatever type of specialized cell a patient needs. Stem cells come from embryos, adult stem cells, adult stem cells that are altered to have properties of embryonic stem cells, and have also been found in amniotic fluid.  Since it seems stem cell research has great potential to cure debilitating diseases why would anyone object to this research? Controversy comes in specifically with the use of human embryonic stem cells. I chose this topic because I do not know much about it and wanted to research it for myself to see how I feel about the issue.


 












In my research I learned that the most desirable stem cells come from early stage embryos.  These embryos are usually obtained from eggs that were fertilized at in vitro clinics but were never implanted because they were not needed or wanted. This is where the ethical issue lies. Adult stem cells are being used but do not offer as much versatility as embryonic stem cells and are not able to be manipulated as much to produce all the cell types. However advances are being made in adult stem cell research and there is promise in that area. The biggest controversy boils down to when an embryo is actually considered a human life. Those who value human life from the point of conception consider the destruction of the embryo to be killing a human life while research advocates feel that the tiny blastocyst does not have human characteristics.  

So what is the solution?  I see both sides; depending on where your beliefs lie it is a sensitive subject. I feel like we should not specifically make the blastocysts for research but if there are unused embryos and they were to be donated for research so that others may live it feels like it could be positive.  I tried to put myself in the position of having a very sick child or family member and how I would feel if they could be cured by stem cells. Our textbook talked about advances being made in adult stem cell research that may make embryonic stem cell research unnecessary some day, that would be an amazing accomplishment and would solve the ethical issue.

Sources
Photo credit.  Retrieval date 2-19-2013
Stem cells: What they are and what they do
Mayo Clinic Staff.  Retrieval date 2-19-2013
Pros and Cons of Stem Cell Research
Retrieval date 2-19-13
Human Biology. Sixth Edition. Michael D. Johnson

Part 2
1.       In this unit there were two activities I was proud of. The first assignment was the discussion on the autism/vaccination link. This activity had the potential to take me out of my comfort zone. I vaccinate both of my children and have felt firmly that I didn’t believe in a link between vaccines and autism. I worried that I would not be able to adequately express both sides of the debate since I felt so strong and comfortable in my stance. I feel like I did a good job with the research and the relaying of my thoughts and ideas. The second activity I am proud of was the molecules lab. That was a really challenging assignment for me! I like things to be black and white and crystal clear and that lab was not. After spending some time pouring over the book and doing some research on the internet and then the video you provided as assistance I felt a bit more comfortable and was able to complete the assignment pretty well.
2.       I have a really good understanding of the cell after this unit. I found it surprising how much I remembered from biology classes I had taken previously, some many years ago. I enjoyed learning about cell activities and how things inside of us work, so much complexity but I felt like I was able to get a good grasp on the information.
3.       To enhance my learning experience I tried to apply what we were learning to my life. In chapter three I read about cells that store fat. I learned that dieting and exercise tend to reduce the amount of stored fat, making the fat cells leaner but that dieting and exercise do not reduce their number. The cells are still available to store fat and that is why it is so hard to keep weight that you have lost off. I have dabbled in different diets and exercise plans to work on my health and this was just a relative connection to me and something that I really didn’t know.  I just knew it is very easy to pack the weight on but so hard to get it off!
4.       I felt most distanced while studying chapter two. I’m not sure what it was about atoms, elements, and the like but I spent a fair amount of time feeling confused.  I had to go over the information a few times to try to really take it in and I still feel like I struggled with some of the chemistry questions on exam 1. In unit one I felt most connected during labs and hands on activity, sometimes the reading was hard to get through but to see the information in action in front of me was really helpful.
5.       I honestly feel like the information in unit 1 was relayed well. There are so many options to reinforce the information and practice it between videos, labs, discussion, etc. I think the only suggestion I would have is something hands on or interactive with some of the chemistry involved in chapter 2 since that is where I feel like I struggled some.

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your paper. You covered the topic well and apparently satisfied your curiosity, too. Excellent citation of resources and great organization. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also appreciate your feedback on Chapter 2. Maybe some model-building would be helpful...

    ReplyDelete