Thursday, April 18, 2013

Unit 3 Reflections

Lipodissolve

Lipodissolve is an increasingly popular "fat melting" procedure. In this procedure patients are injected with phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholate which act to break down fat cells.  The injection can include other substances such as antibiotics, vitamins, and hormones, there is no standardized list. The two active ingredients in Lipodissolve have been approved for use in other medications but have not been approved as fat dissolving drugs. Because the two active ingredients are approved by the Food and Drug Administration, clinics can legally administer Lipodissolve. 


































Photo credit: http://idealimageclinics.com.au/lipodissolve.html Retrieved April 17th 2013.

While doing research I learned that Lipodissolve does not require anesthesia, is relatively painless, and does not require any downtime after injections. Benefits can typically be seen after 3 weeks of injections, some patients report changes while others do not. Lipodissolve can cost anywhere between $375 to $1500 per treatment. Some side effects that have been reported are swelling, skin blistering, pain, and blackened skin in some people. In my reading it wasn't clear where the fat goes once dissolved, some believe it is excreted from the body naturally and other researchers suggest it migrates to other areas of the body with fat cells including arteries, which to me was kind of frightening! 

So should I run out and get some Lipodissolve? The Food and Drug Administration has called Lipodissolve "just another example of unapproved drugs for unapproved uses." (Johnson, 81) Being overweight I can see how this procedure would appeal to people but I am concerned with it being a newer product and not having a whole lot of studies and outcomes. The FDA is keeping an eye on Lipodissolve they did approve a clinical trial back in 2007 which was expected to provide the first date on the effectiveness and safety of Lipodissolve. I think I will pass on this procedure until there is more information available. 


















Photo credit: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm206240.htm Retrieved April 17th 2013.

Sources

 Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery. Foder, Peter.  http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/liposuction/lipo-dissolve.htm  Retrieved April 17th 2013.


Part 2.

1. I am actually most proud of the chicken leg dissection. I was not able to get to it until the day after it was due, but it was really neat to see the tendons and muscles and bones that we had been learning about. Hands on seems to help so much to bring clarity to what we are learning about. 

2. I enrolled in BIO 156 as a prerequisite for the nursing program. I had taken Beginning Biology many years ago and needed a more recent biology course.

3. I felt pretty prepared for this experience. I have medical background and I feel like I am a decent student. I understand the expectations of college courses. 

4.The only thing that changed my experience some was personal life related. We became very short staffed at work and I did a 7 week switch from nights to days which put some restrictions on the time I had been devoting to Biology and my other class, it took some adjustments. 

5. I haven't struggled too much this semester. I will say this last exam was the most difficult for me thus far. 5 chapters was a lot of information to get familiar with and retain a lot of small details. If I could redo I would have started studying for the exam sooner. I think the learning tools you provide for us are more than adequate. 

1 comment:

  1. The treatment takes about 45 minutes, and results are visible right away. The system stimulates collagen and elastin production, reducing the appearance of cellulite and promoting collagen and elastin. For more ideal details about lipomelt factory, visit this link.

    ReplyDelete